Addis Ababa-Bole International Airport was voted as one of the best five airports in Africa, while Khartoum International Airport was rated as the worst in an annual Airports Survey.
The survey was conducted by SleepingInAirports.com a well-known North-American online travel guide website.
The the 2014 Airports Survey asked travelers to rate Airports considering four qualities: That is; Comfort (encompasses the availability of plush chairs, armrest free areas, quiet zones, reclining options, etc.), Conveniences (include free Wi-Fi, 24-hour food options, showers, pay lounges and other things to do at the airport while awaiting a flight); Cleanliness (centers around clean floors, maintained bathrooms and tidy food courts) and Customer Service (smiling faces and friendly attitudes, along with considerate and helpful workers (who offer up blankets and pillows to stranded passengers).
According to the results published last week; the Top 5 Best Airports in Africa based on overall airport experience are:
1. Johannesburg O.R. Tambo International Airport, South Africa (JNB)
2. Cape Town International Airport, South Africa (CPT)
3. Durban King Shaka International Airport, South Africa (DUR)
4. Algiers Houari Boumediene International Airport, Algeria (ALG)
5. Addis Ababa-Bole International Airport, Ethiopia (ADD)
A note accompanying Addis Ababa-Bole International Airport, Ethiopia (ADD)reads:
Layovers at Addis Ababa-Bole International are quickly becoming an inevitable part of African travel as the airport establishes itself as a new hub for the continent with Ethiopian Airlines. What appears to have secured ADD’s place at number five on our 2014 list is the fantastic number of comfortable reclining sleeper chairs available to all departing passengers. These lounge chairs line the perimeter of the central departures lounge – and are sought after by all transiting passengers. Beyond the chairs, ADD offers decent duty free shopping, mediocre restaurants and a small and dated internet café. While this will hardly be a place to write home about, a few hours wandering the tiny and efficient terminal is certainly manageable.
Airport Services/Facilities To Enjoy Your Layover: Free Wi-Fi.
1. Khartoum International Airport, Sudan (KRT)
2. Kinshasa N’djili International Airport, Democratic Republic of the Congo (FIH)
3. Tripoli International Airport, Libya (TIP)
4. Dar es Salaam Julius Nyerere International Airport, Tanzania (DAR)
5. Luanda Quatro de Fevereiro International Airport, Angola (LAD)
6. Port Harcourt International Airport, Nigeria (PHC)
7. Abuja Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Nigeria (ABV)
8. N’Djamena International Airport, Chad (NDJ)
9. Accra Kotoka International Airport, Ghana (ACC)
10. Lagos Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Nigeria (LOS)